Friday, October 09, 2015

Book Review: Outspoken (Lora Richardson)

Outspoken
By: Lora Richardson
Genre: Romance, Young Adult, Coming-Of-Age

                                                     


Penny Beck is a girl who says yes when she means no. She keeps to herself, follows the rules, and does what she's told. After a disastrous experience with her boyfriend, she's determined to change from the spineless person she's always been into the strong woman she wants to become. All she needs is a little practice. On a cross-country trip to check on her grandpa, she strives to become bolder and more outspoken with the strangers she meets. Penny's plan is to practice saying and doing what she wants without worrying about what anyone else thinks. Then she meets Archer, an introspective loner to whom she finds herself drawn. She realizes she does care what he thinks, very much. Will Penny be able to stick to her plan, or will she revert back to her people-pleasing ways?


Hello, my beautiful, magical, amazing readers! It's me againnnn. Surprised, huh? What is this, like, two reviews in one week? Who'd have thought we'd be seeing so much of each other?! *whispers* I kinda like it.

Like any normal teenage girl, I'm spending my Friday evening sitting in my cutsie little chair with a glass of tea that just a tad too sweet (whoops), reviewing a book for you...and apparently flirting with my computer screen....Yup, typical fifteen-year-old girl behavior...Isn't that what everyone my age is doing now a days? No? Well, they're missing out on all the fun.....At least my new BBF ( Book Boyfriend) is here....Archer. Talk about gorgeousness. I'm such a lucky girl, I know.

When my mom asks me why my room is half cleaned, and I'm going to end up taking a shower at nine (fifty*), I'm blaming Outspoken. Like the very mature  young woman that I am, I abandoned all of my responsibilities and my growing "you-have-to-read-these-because-you-told-the-author-you-would-and-you're-a-trustworthy-responsible-person-that-keeps-your-promises" list and reading Outspoken instead. But what's life without a little a adventure, yeah? Penny would agree with me *winks dramatically at computer screen* Right, Penny? Am I right?? I so am.

Yeppp, before I go on, with my very exaggerated spelling and casually repeated letters, this WAS an author requested book...Sorry Randall (he's another author that requested a review, and I began reading HIS book, but I felt like I needed a little cute romance in my life....).  Lora Richardson ( I never know how to address them? First name? Ms/Mr? Buddy? Pal? First+Last? Someone needs to get me a manual for this stuff because I don't even know anymore) very, very kindly provided us with a copy of her book....which is the case most times...for an honest review....but anywayyyy, onward and forward with all of the reviewing!

I still get that little swirly in my stomach when reviewing books, especially for an author. It's actually pretty fun and invigorating to get your opinion out there, among others that can share your opinions...I loves it.

Okay, okay, really, onto the great part.

I started Outspoken today because I was feeling like my previous relationship wasn't going anywhere, and I needed a new BookBoyfriend, and, a small reason was that my internet was out...but that's not the point here! Today, there were no distractions of the Supernatural variety. A small plus was that Outspoken was on my list (yeah, you know the one), so, hey! Two birds with one stone! Talk about me being productive! I'm so proud of myself.....and I'm droning on again, sorry about that..back to business.


When my fellow reviewers and I were sent the review request (the very first one, ever, actually, which was awesome..even if we, sadly, didn't know what it was until days later...) I knew that it'd be something that everyone would enjoy, and I really, really did.

If you've read two or three of my reviews, you would know that I like my characters strong-willed, my BBFs hot and spicy, and my plot thicker than hot chocolate from the Italian Chocolate Festival and smooth as gelato. Now, if you've read some of my posts, you will also know that I am scary, scary good at predicting plots and endings...no matter if they're thicker that Italian hot chocolate (which is actually more like warm, very chocolaty pudding).

While I may have been able to predict the ending (please, please, don't be discouraged, Lora, this happens way more than you'd be able to imagine), I wasn't able to predict it until a couple chapters in, which is a bit of a rarity on my part. While I may have been able to predict the ending, I was completely pulled into the book from page five. I don't know if it was meant to be, but it's a really good coming-of-age book. Like, woah,serious eye-opening shizzlewizzle happening right here! You know, I can feel your judgy, disapproving, disappointed stares at the word "shizzlewizzle", but I am a strong, independent young lady, and I refuse to remove the word shizzlewizzle from this review just because it's not very acceptable or professional....well...then again, talking about how hot book boys are and winking at my computer isn't either.... *clears throat* Yeah, anywayyy....

I'm one who really enjoys great character development, but hates the whole idea of waiting ages and agess until the adventure begins....With Outspoken, it was kind of a two-for-one experience, you get the adventure and the development at the same time; the adventure and character development was happening at basically page four!...I loved it.

Plus, the whole "misunderstood, very attractive, tall, dark, and handsome boy" angle is my huge weak spot.

Truly and honestly, there isn't much to say besides it was a very, very well written book. The characters were amazing. My personal favorite was the main character (Penny)'s younger sister, Vera. Her relationship with Penny and how she treats Penny just really reminds me of my mom, and it's always nice to feel a deep personal connection with a character in a book.

All I can really say is, if you're looking for a really super cute, eye-opening romantic book that also happens to be a book that I read in a day....which says nothing because I can read a four hundred page book in a day if it really sucked me in....... pick up Outspoken, because you seriously will NOT be disappointed.


I'd like to add a little not-review-related tidbit here, seeing as that's the thing I tend to do, I just really want to say thank you, not only to Lora, but all the authors that have been emailing us. You all have been unbelievably kind, and understanding. You threw us back into motion, and you gave me and my fellow bloggers the kick in the butt that we really needed, and, from the bottom of my heart, I thank you all for that. We were losing hope, and felt like nobody really knew, or cared, for that matter, that our blog existed, like all of the hours of work put into CommonBookSense were....well....wasted. You gave us that boost we needed, you let us know that someone knows we exist, so thank you. 
We really are ecstatic to be working with authors, and, maybe, we'll get some interviews up here at some point...you never know!



This seems to be becoming my usual as well, but I asked the author a question, yes, a single question. I felt it was the only one I needed to ask. Don't judge me!

Q:Are you planning on writing a sequel, and, if so, when will it be released? 
A: As for your question, I don't have a sequel or companion book planned, but I haven't ruled it out. Ideas are knocking around my head. I am currently writing a second, unrelated novel. It is also a young adult contemporary story. You may include that information in your review if you like.

For my sake, I very much hope that my adventure with Penny and Archer hasn't ended yet, it's a BBF that I'm just not ready to let go of!

So, now, with my ribs hurting in that weird way they hurt when you sit hunched over your laptop for too long, my tea glass empty, and the Supernatural credits playing in the background, I bid you all  farewell. In the event that I don't drown in the shower in a few minutes, I will see you all very, very soon.

Keep your noses in the pages! I'll blog you later, lovelies!


No comments :

Post a Comment

We value your opinion, so feel free to share it with us!

Books We've Reviewed

Outspoken
Pieces Like Pottery: Stories of Loss and Redemption
Tangled Web
Dead as a Doornail
Where Death Is a Hunter
Mindspeak
Gifted
Not Your Mother's Goose
Undressed To The Nines: A Thriller Novel
Supernaturally
Bees in Loretta's Bonnet
Ukiyo
Strays
Let Love In
Providence
Let The Waves Come In
The Mine
Learning to Swim
Mother
Anissa of Syria


CommonBookSense's favorite books »