Tuesday, February 09, 2016

Book Review: Witch & Wizard: book one in the Witch and Wizard Series (James Patterson)

Witch & Wizard
By: James Patterson
Genre: Paranormal/Fantasy (Magic, Witches, Supernatural), 
Sci-Fi (Dystopia), Young Adult (Teen), Adventure, Fiction



The world is changing: the government has seized control of every aspect of


society, and now, kids are disappearing. For 15-year-old Wisty and her older brother Whit, life turns upside down when they are torn from their parents one night and slammed into a secret prison for no reason they can comprehend. The New Order, as it is known, is clearly trying to suppress Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Being a Normal Teenager. But while trapped in this totalitarian nightmare, Wisty and Whit discover they have incredible powers they'd never dreamed of. Can this newly minted witch and wizard master their skills in time to save themselves, their parents--and maybe the world?


 (there were two different blurbs, so here's the second one:)

Imagine you wake up and the world around you-life as you know it-has changed in an instant. 

That's what has happened to Whit Allgood and his sister, Wisty. They went to sleep as normal teenagers, and woke up as wanted criminals. Accused of holding incredible powers they'd never dreamed possible. And now, just how different they are-special, even-if just beginning to be revealed in a strange new world.


(Something you guys didn't know, probably, when we put in the covers for our reviews, we try to use the cover that was on the book WE read.)




Hello, all of you adorable, lovely people! How are you, guys?? Good? Great! Oh, I've been better, but thanks for asking! That was very sweet of you! Do we have any male readers? Do we have ANY readers? Maybe not, but that's okay. If you are a mysterious reader, and you are male, does it offend you that I call you my "lovely"? I sure hope not. (tell me in the comments!!)

I am finally feeling better, so I've erased all of the horrible review that was here before, and am writing this one! Yay!

Okay, my darlings, this book. Thissssssss boookkk, oh. My. Gosh. It is was so good! I have never really read a book surrounding wizards (besides Harry Potter, of course), so I didn't know exactly what to expect. I had actually not had any desire to read a wizardy book. I dunno, I guess Harry Potter set the bar WAY too high, and I didn't want to disappoint myself.

Anyway, I was pleasantly surprised with James Patterson. I was almost disappointed that it was a good book, like I was betraying J.K. by liking other wizard books.

Something that I really like about this book was that it started straight from page one. You didn't have to wait at all for the plot to start off.

I actually got the book in physical form, which makes me very happy. It was a decently large book (you could compare it to The Sorcerer's Stone, in length(why are there so many er-s on Sorcerers?? (yes, I looked it up)(parenthesis INCEPTION)), but at the same time it felt like it was really, really short. I think it may have been because nothing...really got achieved? Maybe?

Okay, before I get stoned to death, I should point out that Witch&Wizard is NOT anything like Harry Potter, no real spells, no robes, or quills. It's like a pre/post-apocalyptic world PLUS wizards. I think they can be classified as something other than wizards....magical people? I dunno, but they had magical powers! And it was apocalypse via the government, which was a nice change from aliens. The only thing that really has bothered me is that they're looking for their parents still (as far as less than half through the second book), and I feel like I'll be really disappointed if they  spend they entire series trying to find their parents, rather than leading the rebellion like they're supposed to.

I DO like that the book is mostly just kids. Like, the rebellion is led by a bunch of teenagers, and they go and save lots of little kids. and The One Who Is The One does kind of give off a Voldemort vibe, but instead of being He-Who-Shall-Not-Be-Named, he's He-Who-Shall-Be-Worshiped-By-All-And-If-U-Don't-Worship-Him-He'll-Vaporize-You. He's kind of a walking contradiction because he's banned all forms of magic (even the word), but he's like all powerful with his magic. So, apparently, he's allowed to use it, but nobody else is? Hypocrite much??

I don't know what else to say, really. It was a good book! It pulled me in from the very first page, even though it wasn't a book that I'd have picked up on my own.  I really, really like the way it's written. It goes between Whit and Wisty and it's like they're the ones that are telling their story (in the second one I was told to go back and do some rereading, which was the highlight of the book so far haha). So it was like they were the ones who'd written the book. I got the second and third book with a Christmas gift card...I love book money! Books-A-Million didn't have the same cover edition for the third book, so my first and second book match, but the third doesn't (there are more book, but I only had so much money on the card and books be expensive, yo. Even paperbacks), so it kinda REALLY annoys me, like WHY NO MATCH?! But I needed the third book haha. Anyway,  I'm about 160 pages into the second book (The Gift), I dunno why I haven't finished it yet, I think it's because I need something new. Maybe I'll find a diamond in our review requested book list!

Buy this book through...
or

Add this book to your Goodreads



Okay, some small updates, I updated our NavMenu, so that you guys can get to all of our posts, and maybe tomorrow I'll update some of the pages...Our "About" page hasn't be updated in a few months(I try to keep them up to date). But once we're all caught up, and our schedule is back full-swing, Naomi, Shell, and I will reveal what the "coming soon" tabs will be for! Very exciting!
We are very excited to be back up and running! I love all of you that have stuck around! I got my iPod working, so now I ALWAYS have access to all of our social accounts (i don't have to log out of mine to check them) so I have been very active on our Twitter and Instagram. Make sure you go to our (new) social media page and CLICK ALL THE BUTTONZZZ to be taken to our pages!

I really hope you enjoyed reading this review!
I'll blog you later, my lovelies!




No comments :

Post a Comment

We value your opinion, so feel free to share it with us!

Books We've Reviewed

Outspoken
Pieces Like Pottery: Stories of Loss and Redemption
Tangled Web
Dead as a Doornail
Where Death Is a Hunter
Mindspeak
Gifted
Not Your Mother's Goose
Undressed To The Nines: A Thriller Novel
Supernaturally
Bees in Loretta's Bonnet
Ukiyo
Strays
Let Love In
Providence
Let The Waves Come In
The Mine
Learning to Swim
Mother
Anissa of Syria


CommonBookSense's favorite books »