Thursday, March 24, 2016

Book Review: Dirt (C.C. Hogan)

Dirt
by: C.C. Hogan

Genres: Fantasy

A fantastic tale of love, war, friendship and dragons!

If Johnson Farthing thought that life as poor cart pusher in the coastal town of Wead-Wodder was going to be his lot in life, then he was about to get a rude surprise, and not necessarily a good one.

Once it becomes clear that his beautiful younger sister has been kidnapped along with the daughter of the Prelate, his life is completely turned on its head. Farthing has to rush across a vast ocean and a huge continent carried by an incredible Sea Dragon and accompanied by a strange magician if he has even a chance to save his sister Rustina.

And very strangely, neither the rich Prelate nor his chief of police seem keen to even lift a finger.

Dirt, the first book in a huge, continent spanning saga where dragons are an intelligent, cultured people, magicians cannot destroy mountains with a magic wand and the heroes have no wish to become tyrannical kings and queens.v

But through all the dramatic events, the battles of life and death, Dirt is a place of humour, love and ultimately, the quest to find a home.

**WE WERE GIVEN A COPY OF THIS BOOK FOR THE FOLLOWING HONEST REVIEW**
Hello, all! How are you guys today? Good, I hope.

Now, I'm going to do something that's a little different, but I hope it'll work.

So, I've been reading Dirt for a while now; longer that i usually spend on a book. That can be partly because I've been sick, and partly because the book is a little slow. I've decided to write a review on what I've read so far, and then come back to edit it later! Genius, I know.

Quoting the words of the author (via DM on Twitter), " I am not sure what you normally read, but this is a book to relax into. Unlike many fantasies, the characters are very important.  They are not super heroes or princesses, but ordinary people with humour and problems who are looking for something better in life.  That includes the dragons! The female characters are especially strong and in series two, they take the lead. You have a huge journey before you get there! Good luck and enjoy the world of Dirt. All the best, CC " 

With that being said, he is correct. It really is a story that you have to allow yourself to relax into. In the beginning it can be rather hard to focus, especially because there's a lot of ..what's the word..? A lot of setting describing, but also of the world. Like "A land backs B land, which is by sea X", which has caused me to stop reading several books. I'm bad at the geography of my own planet, I can't be trying to learn the geography of a new one. With that being said, CC does provide us with a map, which is very helpful. 


My advice, if you decide to pick up Dirt is  to go somewhere quiet, somewhere without any distractions. The bath was a great place...or a dark bedroom at night (wow, dark at night! Great observation, past Kailei). It takes a little for you to fall into the story, but it's well worth it.

The characters are quite interesting, but I won't say too much because SPOILERSSSS.
Farthing is a few years older than I am, although I pictured him as an old man (you would understand if you read the book). I have yet to meet his sister, which is the basis for the entire book. It's a teeny bit frustrating, but the dragons make up for it.

I found Dirt to be well written and relaxing, which was a blessing and a curse. While I'm more for a book that makes my heart race and makes me want to grind my teeth, it was a good experience. But at the same time, I found it hard for me to focus. Once I was 'in' the book, my eyes flew over the words, and it played out like a movie. The only other fault I could find was that, when they went to a new place, I had to skip several paragraphs because I wanted to see if anyone was dying. Other than that, everything was great! 

When I finish the book, maybe today, I'll come back and update this review. I know it isn't much now, but that's because I've been putting it off for a week and mother is ready to murder me.

Tata for now, my lovelies!


I shall blog you later!










Purchase this book FREE through
Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Smashwords
Kobo
iTunes
or
Inktera


Books We've Reviewed

Outspoken
Pieces Like Pottery: Stories of Loss and Redemption
Tangled Web
Dead as a Doornail
Where Death Is a Hunter
Mindspeak
Gifted
Not Your Mother's Goose
Undressed To The Nines: A Thriller Novel
Supernaturally
Bees in Loretta's Bonnet
Ukiyo
Strays
Let Love In
Providence
Let The Waves Come In
The Mine
Learning to Swim
Mother
Anissa of Syria


CommonBookSense's favorite books »