Thursday, May 26, 2016

Book Review: Gifted (J.A. George)


Gifted
By: J.A. George

Genre: Fantasy, Young Adult

There is no chosen one in this story.

Avery Gray was just in the wrong place at the wrong time and happened to make a decision that altered her future forever. It happens to all of us every day. 

Avery is a size twelve university student with a penchant for dry humour, and she’s as normal as they come. Up until now, the biggest choice she’s had to make was glasses or contacts? At the moment, it’s stay and save, or leave and be saved. 

Allow me to explain. One rainy afternoon, Avery had to make a choice: go through the alleyway or around it. Two possible options. One would have had her future continue on as planned, the other would ensure that her future never remained the same again. She unknowingly went with the latter. 

But change is not always bad. Avery meets Theodore-James Connors, an enigmatic young man who takes her to Hayven, a city separated from the rest of the world, where only gifters – ordinary people with extra-ordinary gifts – can go. She soon finds herself in a close-knit group of friends she’d never have imagined herself in. Friends who are diverse in every possible way, from their ethnic backgrounds, to their personalities, from their gifts, to their life stories. Friends who make her laugh, who make her cry, who make her think and who make her…her. 

However, change is not always good. The beautiful, golden city of Hayven has its dark side – Cliders. Gifters turned rogue, aka, Cliders are determined to aid fallen Clider, Madrina, return to rule Hayven. They will stop at nothing to make that happen, including harming those Ava has grown to love. 

Again, Ava is faced with a choice: spend her days finding a way to inhibit Madrina’s return, or walk away. After all, she isn’t the chosen one. Yet, there exists a third option – rig the future itself and make it work for her.


I was originally pulled toward Gifted when I saw the cover....and then it was over. I stayed up for several too many hours to finish this book.

I mean, just look at that! It's beautiful in its simplicity. You know, people lie when they say the cover doesn't matter...it's the reader's first impression.

Anywho, let me tell you about my opinions on the book, because that's what we do here. I had just a few issues with this book (compared to the many, many things I loved). I'll tell you guys my issues first, so we have more time to discuss the good things (a.k.a Theo). I sped through this book, but I feel as though I was waiting for something that never came. You go through this entire book hearing about the war that's coming, you know, impending doom, but you run out of pages before you get there! I get that it was probably a selling point, like "hey you gotta get the next book to see the war and what happens, yes!", and I get that, but it doesn't make me any less perturbed.

Now, the rest of the book was just good. The characters are realistic and you can relate to them quite easily. The plot and idea of the book is unique and really interesting. The way everyone has their own color? That's so neat! I would say it's a light-fantasy novel. There are people with 'abilities', but no supernatural creatures. It would be good for someone who is just starting out with fantasy and doesn't want to scare themselves.

There was a touch of romance, which is always my weakness. I've always been a sucker for paranormal/fantasy/supernatural romance books. I think it's because of my mom (a.k.a Shell); she has a romance book problem.

Despite the ending (or lack-thereof), I would for-sure read the next book. I want to see how it ends. And I really want Theo and the main character (I never remember their names because it's always in the first person, so you put yourself in their head and you're basically them) to get together. And, and, I really LOVE her new group of friends! They're all so different, but they love each other so much, awhhh! As teenagers would say '#SquadGoals'....(ew, I'm sorry about that hashtag).  I think that the original group was full of ish people, I mean, Alfie shouldn't be such a baby. It's not like he was in love with her; it was ONE date! C'mon, guy, grow up! I couldn't believe they all treated her like that, and then Toni throwing a toddler fit! Ugh, I hate teenagers. ("But Kailei, you're a teenager!" I know, but I don't have to deal with OTHER teenagers because I'm home schooled.....Teenagers are mean and scare me, okay?)

And the setting? Oh my goodness, the descriptions were so good that I felt like I have been to Hayven. Doesn't that read a little bit like Heaven? Yeah, that's an accurate description of this place.

Okay, if I had one single piece of advice to give this lovely author: Cool down on the descriptions of your characters. You can throw in a few things, but let your readers draw their own appearances of your characters. The readers like to feel in control; the world you've created becomes theirs when they open your book.  Of course, it's your book, you can do whatever you like! :)
It's very obvious that you know exactly how to create a book and characters that people would love. And I will love your characters whether or not you describe every hair on their head.

As always, my loves, the links will be below! Make sure you go to enter our giveaway! We're giving away a signed copy of The Flood, a lad lit book that Shell reviewed (here)! It still has a few days left (as of 5/24/16). You can find it on the end of Shell's review!

Keep your noses in the pages, and I'll blog you lovelies later!


Purchase this book through

Follow the J.A. George on 



Books We've Reviewed

Outspoken
Pieces Like Pottery: Stories of Loss and Redemption
Tangled Web
Dead as a Doornail
Where Death Is a Hunter
Mindspeak
Gifted
Not Your Mother's Goose
Undressed To The Nines: A Thriller Novel
Supernaturally
Bees in Loretta's Bonnet
Ukiyo
Strays
Let Love In
Providence
Let The Waves Come In
The Mine
Learning to Swim
Mother
Anissa of Syria


CommonBookSense's favorite books »