Sunday, November 15, 2015

Book Review: The Perks of Being A Wallflower (Stephen Chbosky)

The Perks of Being A Wallflower
By: Stephen Chbosky
Genres: Young Adult (Coming of Age, Teen), 
Fiction (Realistic Fiction), Contemporary, Romance, Classics


Charlie is a freshman. And while he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. Shy, introspective, intelligent beyond his year yet socially awkward, he is a wallflower, caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it. Charlie is attempting to navigate his way through uncharted territory: the world of first dates and mix tapes, family dramas and new friends; the world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite. But he can't stay on the sidelines forever. Standing on the fringes of life offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor. The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a deeply affecting coming-of-age story that will spirit you back to those wild and poignant roller-coaster days known as growing up.





 You know those books where, when you finish reading them, you just have to sit down your phone/book/whatever you read on , wipe away your tears and just whisper "Wow" under your breath?    Yeah, that was one of those.

 I also really liked how the author wrote it.
In the beginning, it kinda threw me off a bit, the way they were addressed as letters, but, eventually, like every other book I read, I was able to ignore chapter titles (in this case the "Dear Friend," ) and focus all my attention on the book.

Sometimes I was very embarrassed for him, other times I was jealous of him, lots of mixed feelings for this one, haha.

When I found out why he acted like he did, and why he was the way he was.....I cried. I cried for him and for me....

!Spoiler Warning!

.....None of you know this (unless you're on my personal Facebook), but when I was young my biological father and stepmother molested me, so I connected with the main character quite a lot toward the end. Depressing, yeah, I know. 

!End of Spoiler Warning!

This is one of those "fill-in" reviews that don't really need so much explanation. It was a really great book! I read it as a quick, "I have nothing else to read right now", and I didn't regret it at all.

It was good..kinda reminded me of TFIOS a bit, mostly  because it was a quick read, but also really, really eye-opening, sad/happy, and just overall great!

So, that's it for now, my lovelies! If you can think of an amazing name for us to call you, make sure to drop it down in the comments \/, we love to hear what you guys have to say! Oh, and, in case you're new/haven't noticed, I changed the blog up quite a bit! Make sure you all tell me what you think of that! Our blog is your blog!

I'll blog you later, lovelies!


    


No comments :

Post a Comment

We value your opinion, so feel free to share it with us!

Books We've Reviewed

Outspoken
Pieces Like Pottery: Stories of Loss and Redemption
Tangled Web
Dead as a Doornail
Where Death Is a Hunter
Mindspeak
Gifted
Not Your Mother's Goose
Undressed To The Nines: A Thriller Novel
Supernaturally
Bees in Loretta's Bonnet
Ukiyo
Strays
Let Love In
Providence
Let The Waves Come In
The Mine
Learning to Swim
Mother
Anissa of Syria


CommonBookSense's favorite books »