Friday, February 26, 2016

Book Review: Dying for a Living (Kory M. Shrum)




 Dying for a Living
By: Kory M Shrum
Genre: Paranormal/Fantasy (Urban Fantasy, Supernatural), 
Mystery, Horror (Zombies), Romance


Dying for a Living (Jesse Sullivan #1) On the morning before her 67th death, it is business as usual for Jesse Sullivan: meet with the mortician, counsel soon-to-be-dead clients, and have coffee while reading the latest regeneration theory. Jesse dies for a living, literally. As a Necronite, she is one of the population’s rare 2% who can serve as a death replacement agent, dying so others don’t have to. Although each death is different, the result is the same: a life is saved, and Jesse resurrects days later with sore muscles, new scars, and another hole in her memory.

But when Jesse is murdered and becomes the sole suspect in a federal investigation, more than her freedom and sanity are at stake. She must catch the killer herself—or die trying.


 Woah, guys! Two reviews from me in under a week? A review everyday?! Woah, guys, what's happening to CommonBookSense?!

Dying for a Living was a book that I actually downloaded on a whim. I was searching for free books to add to my kindle and I came across this one. It'd been on my Kindle for an unknown amount of time and I really wanted something overly fictional. Honestly, this book was exactly what I was looking for.

To call Dying for a Living a Zombie book would be like comparing a Pug to an orange....It's just wrong.
Now, I can't exactly say that I've read Zombie books (I actually have a full-blown phobia of zombies, nightmares and everything), besides that one Walking Dead book that I was forced to read and  was actually really good, but I can almost-confidently say that you can't compare this book to zombies. No brains involved, just, ya know, dying and coming back to life...totally not zombies.

Jesse Sullivan is a Death Replacement agent; she literally dies for people so that they don't have to...the only difference is that she comes back to life. Like with nearly everything that's not mentioned in the bible, the church is heavily against it....who'd have thought?  I guess in the time the author set the book ( I think sometime in the future perhaps), you can compare Necronites to the LGBT community today, you know, how they're treated/how the church sees it?  That ties into the book HUGELY, so remember that, alright? About the church thing...Sorry..possible spoilers, I'll stop now.

The whole basis and idea for this book was so unique and amazing. The characters' views didn't change half way through the book, either. My favorite character in the ENTIRE WORLD WAS WINSTON! HE WAS A PUG! Gah, my baby, Sullie, is a pug! (Not like baby with a capital B, but my fur-covered-dog-baby.) While there WAS a love-triangle, it didn't take up the entire story....The author was going somewhere, and she didn't let a little love triangle stop her! I honestly can't say that I found a single of her characters annoying, which is saying something. AND THE FEMALE LEAD WAS MY FAVORITE KIND! Just yes! She was witty, sarcastic and strong-willed! I loved every single minute of this book! Every character Kory M. Shrum presented, I fell in love with.




Now, I'm going to have to cut this review rather short because, well, I REALLY want to rave on and on and on about this book, but I have another review to write and another book to read! And you guys would NOT appreciate spoilers.  If any of you have read this book, PLEASE email, or message us (through Facebook) so that we can gossip about it! I'd love that. Just be like "Hey, Kailei! I read Dying for a Living! Didn't you, like, love Winston?! He was so cute and your dog is also the cutest omg I'm jealous of how cute Sullie is."
 I mean look at him...>
He's the adorablest.
I shall blog you later, my lovlies.  


No comments :

Post a Comment

We value your opinion, so feel free to share it with us!

Books We've Reviewed

Outspoken
Pieces Like Pottery: Stories of Loss and Redemption
Tangled Web
Dead as a Doornail
Where Death Is a Hunter
Mindspeak
Gifted
Not Your Mother's Goose
Undressed To The Nines: A Thriller Novel
Supernaturally
Bees in Loretta's Bonnet
Ukiyo
Strays
Let Love In
Providence
Let The Waves Come In
The Mine
Learning to Swim
Mother
Anissa of Syria


CommonBookSense's favorite books »