Monday, March 21, 2016

Book Review: Sparrow (Grace Jelsnik)

Sparrow
by: Grace Jelsnik

Genre: Action/Adventure, Romance

Tasked with the care of her younger siblings and crippled grandfather, the last thing Nell needs is another dependent, but when she finds a dying man lying on the riverbank, she can’t walk away. She soon learns it’s no coincidence that FBI agent Connor chose to die on her turf, and once she gets him home, his presence serves as a catalyst to revelation after revelation regarding the hijacking of an Army munitions convoy two decades before. Everyone seeks the munitions hidden somewhere in the forest, and deadly secrets are exposed when Nell finds herself sucked into a vortex of deception, corruption, and treason. Her act of humanity may well culminate in her loss of humanity when her family is endangered by the specter of a 20-year-old crime. 

Nell’s woods, the woods she knows better than anyone, steadily fill with men who call themselves patriots but are in fact thugs and petty criminals. She’ll stop at nothing to protect her loved ones, and when her younger sister and then Connor are jeopardized, it’s up to her to mete out frontier justice. Armed with nothing more than a hunting bow and a knife, Nell settles into the task with a determination that leads to a surprising discovery regarding the source of the evil. 

**WE WERE GIVEN A FREE COPY OF THIS  BOOK IN EXCHANGE FOR THE FOLLOWING HONEST REVIEW**

I finished reading Sparrow one day last week, and I've attempted to write this review several times a day since, but each time I find myself at a loss for words (which rarely happens). I honestly feel like this should be one of the easiest reviews that I've ever written!!

WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON?!?!?!?!?!?  

Sparrow can very easily be referred to one of the best books I've ever read, and I've literally talked about the plot/characters to any and everyone who would listen. Sooooooo why can't I get my crap together and knock this review out?? Am I having a hard time putting my thoughts/feelings together because I'm afraid that I won't be able to adequately give this book the recognition that it deserves?  

ABSOLUTELY!! (but I have to give it a shot)

Here goes nothing.......

The first thing I noticed, and appreciated, was the way in which the characters were described.  I didn't feel the need to use my imagination to make up for the lack of personalities......they were perfect. I was able to forget that I was sitting in the comfort of my home, because I was immediately sucked in and transported to the Penniwick Hunting Lodge, where I watched this amazing story unfold. The plot was exciting, and engaging from the first page, until the very last.

My favorite authors are those whom write in a way that makes me feel like I'm part of the story...like I'm physically there. They write in such a way that I think about the story, and about the characters long after I've closed the book. They make it feel like I'm watching a movie, rather than, reading words off of a page. They make me want to remember their name. 

Grace Jelnsik delivered!

I am confident that Sparrow will become a favorite to anyone who reads it. I know that it will become one of the few books that I would be happy to read many times.  

Wow, what a story!!











Books We've Reviewed

Outspoken
Pieces Like Pottery: Stories of Loss and Redemption
Tangled Web
Dead as a Doornail
Where Death Is a Hunter
Mindspeak
Gifted
Not Your Mother's Goose
Undressed To The Nines: A Thriller Novel
Supernaturally
Bees in Loretta's Bonnet
Ukiyo
Strays
Let Love In
Providence
Let The Waves Come In
The Mine
Learning to Swim
Mother
Anissa of Syria


CommonBookSense's favorite books »