Friday, June 24, 2016

Book Review: Bees In Loretta's Bonnet (Lois Wickstrom)

Bees in Loretta's Bonnet
By: Lois Wickstrom
Genre: Children's

 When Loretta dropped her armload of firewood on the hearth, a mysterious tube fell from between the logs. It was a leafcutter bee nest. Loretta took it back out to the woodpile and watched as holes appeared. But where were the bees?

She found more holes appearing in leaves on her rose bushes. And even some of the rose petals. But where were the bees?

Leafcutter bees are more efficient than honey bees for pollinating gardens. The book includes instructions for building a nest that may lure wild bees to your yard.





**WE WERE GIVEN A COPY OF THIS BOOK, IN EXCHANGE FOR THE FOLLOWING HONEST REVIEW**

So, before I begin I must say that I am not at an age where I am 'qualified' to read children's books....but we're very welcoming on CommonBookSense, so I review them anyway ('sides, it's not like there's a 5 year old running a book review blog...who am I kidding, this is the internet.

Anywho, onto the review!

Bees in Loretta's Bonnet is an easy to understand children's book. I can see it being in elementary school libraries. I especially liked the little how-to at the end. I can see teachers using it in their classrooms. Personally, Shell and I have enough bees migrating from our bee-keeping-neighbor's yard to keep our non-existing flowers looking spiffy, so I didn't try it...It did look rather simple...again, like you'd see in a elementary classroom....or maybe a biology class.

The subject matter is very easy to follow and understand. I think I could have read it in second grade, but I think it'd be enjoyable for kids that're like....six to nine? I don't know, I was reading Harry Potter and Twilight when I was ten (I actually finished both series in a semester, so my A.R. goal was reached within the first week of a new quarter....Go small(er) Kailei!), so I'm not a proper judge of these things.

Overall, this is a good book to get your children. I really liked the colorful art work, it tied everything together nicely.

As always, all the links will be below! The author sent us a physical copy of this book, so if you would like us to host a giveaway with it, comment on this post, or our tweet/facebook post!

Keep your noses in the pages, my lovelies. I'll blog you later!!
oie_bTJ8xsagIR6l.gif









Purchase this book through
or



Books We've Reviewed

Outspoken
Pieces Like Pottery: Stories of Loss and Redemption
Tangled Web
Dead as a Doornail
Where Death Is a Hunter
Mindspeak
Gifted
Not Your Mother's Goose
Undressed To The Nines: A Thriller Novel
Supernaturally
Bees in Loretta's Bonnet
Ukiyo
Strays
Let Love In
Providence
Let The Waves Come In
The Mine
Learning to Swim
Mother
Anissa of Syria


CommonBookSense's favorite books »