Monday, June 27, 2016

Book Review: Ukiyo (Mela Ciano)




Blud Ukiyo
By Mela Ciano
Genres: Urban Fantasy

Archaeology professor by day, backup shooter by night…

On a routine assignment, Ukiyo finds herself dragged into a world of danger and deception when she is forced to pull the trigger and kill a man. Torn between the agency that funds her research and a man she knows nothing about, she has to choose sides in a secret war that dates back hundreds of years.

Guardian, protector, and her own personal demon…

Burislav vowed to watch over her, but hiding his cursed birth right ends up being a secret that could cost Ukiyo her life. When he’s forced out of the shadows after more than twenty years, keeping her safe isn’t as easy as he thinks.

Pre-Review talk, my loves. This is important! This will be our ONE HUNDREDTH REVIEW! We have posted one HUNDRED reviews on CommonBookSense! Can you believe this! It hasn't even been a year! Our goal is to have 200 before we're only a month away from our year blogaversery. Thank you to everyone who has stuck around for our inconsistent postings and the blabberings we call reviews. Thank you and hello to all of the new people who have just discovered our little page of the internet (get it? Page, like a book page?)! To honor our 100th review, we're going to be revamping the blog a bit, just making everything a bit more summery. And, for the next 100 reviews (well, at least mine), I'll post a  'Question of the review'! Hopefully some of you will answer in the comments!
To 100 more <3


This book surprised me. Based solely on the blurb, I honestly wasn't sure if I'd enjoy it or not....but I did, I did, I diiiiiddd. I'm such a sucker for books with mysterious-bad-boy characters. Especially books with a strong female lead....And strong Ukiyo is....and hot/myaterious Buri is!!!!

I can't say very much without giving anything away, but this book will be worth your time. It's action-packed and full of unique (and very developed) characters.

The plot stayed consistent...with some plot twists here and there, which are always much appreciated. The author did a very good job with her foreshadowing. I liked it.

I really liked her twist on standard fantastical creatures....very, very creative views of them.Totally changes the typical Twilight view of things.

The biggest thing for me when reading a book has to be the descriptive text. Without it, readers are seeing nothing but darkness. I didn't see a spot of darkness, or even shade, in Ukiyo. The way the author describes feelings and appearances continually amazed me. I felt like I was THERE, like I was breathing in the characters and their hopes and fears.  I felt like I could hear the rustle of the leaves, feel the wind brushing past; I was THERE, guys! Seriously, it was astonishing.

Now, for the question that must always be asked: Will you read the next book??

Heck yeah! I will FOR SURE read the next book! Sadly, unless it's sent in via review request, I won't be able to get to it pretty much until next year haha.

Anyway, the links, and the QOTR (question of the review) will be below. I hope to see you at our TWO hundredth post!
 I hope to get to know some of you! Keep your noses in the pages! I'll blog you lovelies later!!

Kailei

Have you read Twilight? How old were you? Has your opinion changed on it since you first read it?

My answer:
Yes, I've read Twilight. 
I was in 5th grade, so about ten?
 Yes! I thought they were the best books ever (besides Harry Potter), I read my copy of Breaking Dawn so many times that the front hardcover BROKE OFF! Now, I don't care for it much. I started reading books that, in my opinion, are better written.
What about you?







Books We've Reviewed

Outspoken
Pieces Like Pottery: Stories of Loss and Redemption
Tangled Web
Dead as a Doornail
Where Death Is a Hunter
Mindspeak
Gifted
Not Your Mother's Goose
Undressed To The Nines: A Thriller Novel
Supernaturally
Bees in Loretta's Bonnet
Ukiyo
Strays
Let Love In
Providence
Let The Waves Come In
The Mine
Learning to Swim
Mother
Anissa of Syria


CommonBookSense's favorite books »