Sunday, July 26, 2015

Book Review: The 5th Wave: book one of the 5th Wave Series (Rick Yancey)


The 5th Wave
By: Rick Yancey
       Genres: Post-Apocalyptic, Sci-Fi






After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it's the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth's last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie's only hope for rescuing her brother--or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.

                       


I'm back! I told you i would be! *laughs evilly* You and I are going to see a lot of each other the next few days, I have a LOT of reviews to catch up on.... I'm what they call "a fast reader", a mythical creature only found on the most epic of blogs and libraries! *magically dramatic music plays*. I really do apologize, I was spending way too much time trying to figure out how to work all da stuffs, and I couldn't bare to make myself any blinder by looking at my computer screen a single SECOND longer, let alone long enough to write you guys an amazing review, such as the one below *points down*.
       Onward and forward with all of the reviewing!

The 5th Wave is a book that has been on my book list for nearly two years, you know the list, the one you have in your head and you're all like "Mhm, yes, yes. I shall read this book next, yes." and then you see a different book and forget all about the poor book that just got smothered under the thousands of other sad little books that have been on your book list since the beginning of time.
...Yeah, you know what I'm talking about.

Can I just say, this book's title is slightly misleading, but I was absolutely, one million percent satisfied with the way this book played out. You have no idea how hard it is to review a book, instead of gossiping about it, haha. I honestly wouldn't have read it if I had known that the third one hasn't come out yet...oops.That's what I get for assuming that, just because it was on amazon, with a rather high price, might I add, that it MUST be out already, should have read the fine print that read  those heart-stopping words "pre-order". What an injustice I have brought upon myself.

The only problem I did have with this book, and, I mean, it's really a non-issue, is the swapping of the P.O.V ((point of view)), the author switched it at the most suspenseful times! Something important was going down, and then *BAM* you're in the body of a completely different person ( that is NOT what she said!), in a completely different situation. But, can I just say, the author totally knows what to do with foreshadowing?! He was amazing! He switches the P.O.V just enough to tell us something important, and make you sit on the edge of your seat, possibly biting your nails, waiting for that big twist to pop out, the twist you almost forgot about because you read about it thirty pages ago, but you just know something is going on, that something is wrong, that something totally unexpected, while still expected, is about to happen. I loved every minute of it.

This is for sure one of those "Can't put it down" "I finished this book in a day even though it's reasonably long" books.


And let me just tell you, since I've already finished the second book (I was like an addict, looking  for their next fix, as I sat in my bed at 2am, looking for the second 5th Wave book) that it is so worth the read. No matter how frustrated, or angry you get, no matter the little boring spots, if you can find any, KEEP READING, oh my gosh, it is SO worth it! The second book is better and worse (in a kind-of good way) at the same time.



!WARNING! I may not review the second book. solely because the third book has not come out yet. and it is a rather depressing fact on my part, because I really loved the characters, Every. Single. One of them. Gah, hurry and release the next onee, Rick Yancey!

No comments :

Post a Comment

We value your opinion, so feel free to share it with us!

Books We've Reviewed

Outspoken
Pieces Like Pottery: Stories of Loss and Redemption
Tangled Web
Dead as a Doornail
Where Death Is a Hunter
Mindspeak
Gifted
Not Your Mother's Goose
Undressed To The Nines: A Thriller Novel
Supernaturally
Bees in Loretta's Bonnet
Ukiyo
Strays
Let Love In
Providence
Let The Waves Come In
The Mine
Learning to Swim
Mother
Anissa of Syria


CommonBookSense's favorite books »