Tuesday, September 01, 2015

Book Review: Providence: book one in the Providence Series (Jamie McGuire)

Providence
By: Jamie McGuire
Genre: New Adult, Young Adult, Romance (Paranormal Romance), 
Paranormal/Fantasy (Angels, Demons), Supernatural, Fiction


Providence (Providence, #1)Struggling with her father's death, Nina meets Jared Ryel, presumably by chance. However it soon becomes clear that he knows more about her than even close friends. When her father's former associates begin following her in the dark, Nina learns that her father was not the man she thought he was, but a thief who stole from demons. In searching for the truth behind her father's death, she stumbles upon something she never expected, and something Hell wants, that only she holds the key for. Jared risks everything to keep the women he was born to save, by sharing the secret he was sworn to protect.








Ok, ok. This was one of those books that's just been sitting on my mom's computer, gathering metaphorical dust.

If I'm honest, I adored the plot (*cough* Jared *cough*), but the lead female character, ohhhh myyyyy gooooodddd. I'm one who enjoys strong willed leads with a smart mouth and crude sense of humor.....Nina (the main lead in this series) just didn't do that for me! Ugh *slight spoiler alert* I WOULD NEVER STAND IN THE FREEZING RAIN, IN WINTER, WITH JUST A SHIRT AND PANTS TO MAKE A GUY NOTICE ME! Ugh, ugh, ugh, just NO!
I like the idea and the supernatural feel that it puts out, but not the damsel in distress, "I-need-a-man-in-order-to-breathe" mindset that Nina has.

And really? She has two boys fawning after her, "Oh, poor, poor Nina, poor Nina has two crazy hot specimines of the male species fawning after her, whatever is she to do?" Unnecessary love triangle, dearies, unnecessary.

I do realize that it is very likely that Jared is in love with Nina *sorry, spoiler, again. I'm just full of spoilers today* I mean, having followed her and watched her their whole lives (it'll be less creepy if you read the books and find out why) BUT YOU DON'T LOVE SOMEONE JUST BECAUSE THEY KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU AND LOVE YOU! Ughughughughhhhhh. So angrryyyyy. That being said...*just imagine something witty was written here*

Gosh, I've sat down to write this three times, and I just don't know.
I liked it, but I didn't. I feel like Jared was a very well developed character, and, in a lot of ways, so was Nina.....If you can ignore the damsel in distress mindset of Nina, like I did, then I don't think that this book will disappoint you. Like I said before, the plot is decent, so is the character development.

I find it incredibly hard, writing this. I usually either love or hate a book, I rarely have mixed feelings ...but I do about this one.



Not-Review-News, guys!Starting next week, have a schedule that SHOULD be up and running 100% October at the latest! I'll probably put it up on the blog, so you guys know when to expect us, and so that we feel obligated to post haha. I also have a few fun little things planned for everyone, so make sure you stick around for it *winks at my computer screen like a weirdo*.

I know this review was really short, as it was mostly me saying "ugh" and complaining...sorry about that, but I'll blog you later, lovelies!


No comments :

Post a Comment

We value your opinion, so feel free to share it with us!

Books We've Reviewed

Outspoken
Pieces Like Pottery: Stories of Loss and Redemption
Tangled Web
Dead as a Doornail
Where Death Is a Hunter
Mindspeak
Gifted
Not Your Mother's Goose
Undressed To The Nines: A Thriller Novel
Supernaturally
Bees in Loretta's Bonnet
Ukiyo
Strays
Let Love In
Providence
Let The Waves Come In
The Mine
Learning to Swim
Mother
Anissa of Syria


CommonBookSense's favorite books »